Making Cloud Migration Easy with Datameer X
- Benoite Yver
- April 19, 2020
More and more organizations are moving their data, applications, and IT activities to the cloud to the advantage of the myriad of benefits that come with cloud migration like:
- Scalability and performance
- Cost savings
- Agility and flexibility
Instead of building and maintaining their own costly computing infrastructure, today’s leading organizations are increasingly opting to leverage public cloud resources instead by moving workflows into AWS, Azure, and GCP.
As a result, they can operate more nimbly, innovate faster, and drive competitive advantage.
The challenges of cloud migration
Every technology has its own unique set of challenges, and the cloud is no different.
While pretty much every startup was born in a cloud world, many massive organizations that have been around forever were hesitant to migrate to the cloud for several reasons. For example, some enterprises in highly regulated industries have preferred to keep their apps and data on-premises to maintain complete control.
However, as the cloud has continued to evolve, so has the enterprise’s mindset around cloud migration. More and more large organizations opt to ditch their own data centers and unlock the cloud’s power. But this is not without its significant challenges, which include:
- Data gravity, or the notion that larger datasets are harder to move
- The fact that some applications might have been engineered for a pre-cloud world and could need to be rearchitected or even rebuilt
- Business continuity considerations, as migrations can often translate into significant downtime without the right approach
- Testing, because you can’t simply move to the cloud and expect great results, you need to make sure your cloud environment is aligned with your business objectives
The good news is that it’s possible to overcome these cloud migration challenges by using tools designed to make cloud migration easy.
Datameer X, an agile data fabric for building end-to-end, self-service, code-free data pipelines, is one such tool.
Datameer X for cloud migration
Datameer X can run both on-premises and cloud-native on AWS, Azure, and GCP. Wherever it’s deployed, it ships with deep integrations, enterprise security and governance features, strong data management capabilities, and more.
By choosing Datameer X for your cloud migration initiatives, your organization will benefit from:
- Connectivity, with more than 70 connectors that provide access to all common data sources and types
- Support for ETL and ELT strategies, giving you flexibility
- Data curation and transformation, with over 300 Excel-like functions designed to satisfy every data science need
- Governance, metadata, and lineage to help you keep track of where data came from, how and when it was transformed, and by whom
- A security that’s baked into the cake with encryption at transfer, deep integrations to security models, and more
- Migrating data from applications on a project-by-project basis to ensure your business keeps humming along smoothly as you move to the cloud
To learn more about why organizations are increasingly moving to the cloud, the challenges they encounter, and how Datameer X can help your company complete cloud migration projects without a hitch, check out our new white paper, An Essential Guide to Cloud Migration.