Datameer supports Tableau version 9 and 10 in the formats HyperHYPER, TDE and TDSX. Older versions might not work as expected and are not supported.
Using the HYPER format requires at minimum operating system CentOS 7 with libc6 version >2.15/ libstdc++6 version >6.1.0.
MapR distributions currently don't support the export to a Tableau server in the TDE format. This is due to the
|Table of Contents|
Requirement: Configuring Tableau Server as a Connection
A Tableau Server connection with Datameer must be created before exporting data.Learn about
Learn about setting up a connection between Datameer and Tableau Server.
Configuring Export Jobs with Tableau Server
To export a worksheet to a Tableau connector:
- Click the "+ (Plus)" button and choose "Export job, Job" or right-click on a folder, select Create New then choose Export Job, or right-click on the workbook to export from and select New export job.
- Select the workbook to export from in the browser.
- in the browser and select "Create New" → "Export Job". The 'New Export Job' tab appears in the menu bar.
- Select the workbook to export from in the browser by clicking on "Select". The dialog 'Select Workbook' opens.
- Select the workbook and confirm with "Select". The name of the workbook appears in the workbook field.
- Click "Next".
- Select the worksheet to export from out of the drop-down menu.
- Select the Tableau connector.
Fill out the Data Details, including giving the file a name published on the Tableau server, deciding if data should be overwritten, and which project on the Tableau server to assign the file.
Note icon false title As of Datameer v6.1
An option allows you to designate the owner for an export file on the Tableau server. Choose between either the current Datameer owner of the connection or a specific owner on the Tableau server.
If the user of the Datameer connection isn't a Tableau Server admin, you can only choose the owner of the connection. If the user is later set as a Tableau Server admin, the option to change to a different Tableau owner is possible.
If the owner has been set to be a specific owner on the Tableau server and that owner is later deleted, the next time the export jobs runs, the radio button automatically reverts back to Use Owner from the Datameer connector on Tableau.
Anchor tde tde Note title As of Datameer v6.3
Export using the TDE (Tableau data extract) file format. TDE files are a local copy of a subset or the entirety of the data that you can use to share, work offline, and improve your database performance.
This feature is only supported for Datameer installations running on Linux.The 'name of the sheet is displayed in the 'Select Sheet' field.
INFO: Only kept sheets are available for export. If the sheet you want to export is missing, modify the workbook settings to keep the sheet.
- Click "Next".
- Select the Tableau connector by clicking on "Select Connection". The dialog 'Select Connection' opens.
INFO: If there is already a valid Tableau connection, you'll find it unter 'connection'.
INFO: If there is no valid connection to Tableau Server yet, you can create it here by clicking on "New Connection".
- Select the required Tableau Server connection and confirm with "Select". The selected connection is displayed in the 'Connection' field.
- Click "Next". The 'Data Details' section opens.
- Insert the name where the Tableau data source will be published under in the 'Data source name' field.
- Select the publish options.
- Select the file format 'HYPER' from the drop-down for exporting data.
INFO: If you don't fulfil the requirements for using the Tableau Hyper file format, select 'TDE'.
INFO: Downloading data without an export job is not possible as a TDE but is supported as TDSX.
File type mapping
Column data field types between Datameer and Tableau differ and are accounted for during export. The following is the list of data type conversions:
Datameer Data Field Type Tableau Data Field Type BIG_DECIMAL DOUBLE BIG_INTEGER LONG_INTEGER BOOLEAN BOOLEAN DATE DATETIME FLOAT DOUBLE INTEGER LONG_INTEGER LIST UNICODE_STRING STRING UNICODE_STRING
When there is data overflow
- BIG_DECIMAL => DOUBLE => positive/negative infinity on overflow
- BIG_INTEGER => LONG_INTEGER => arithmetic exception => record dropped (or job aborted, based on your export job setting)
Note title As of Datameer v7.4
As of Datameer 7.4, export using the Tableau Hyper file format is supported and all Datameer versions above 7.4.7 will show the Hyper format.
(Note, however, that although Datameer allows the option, Tableau Server before v10.5. will not support the export into Hyper format. When export is created and triggered to an unsupported Tableau Server, ingest of the Hyper format file will be refused.)
- Preview the columns of the workbook to be included and choose how to handle invalid data.
- Choose when to run the export job. Export jobs can either be run manually, run each time the workbook in Datameer is calculated, or at specifically scheduled times.
Custom properties can be added in the Advanced section as well as logging specifications.
- If needed, add a description and click Save.
- only possible for the TDSX format.
- Select the settings for the owner.
- Enter the upload chunk size.
INFO: You can tune this value in case of network troubleshooting.
- Click "Next". The section 'Mapping' opens.
- Check the preview and decide which columns will be included and whether invalid data is being accepted.
INFO: All checkboxes are activated per default.
- Decide how to handle invalid data.
- If needed, decide of time-based partitions and click "Next". The section 'Schedule' is shown.
INFO: This chapter only appears, when having partitioned data.
- Select the schedule method for when to run the export job.
- If needed, add an advanced information, e.g. custom properties and confirm with "Next". The section 'Save' is shown.
- Add a export job description.
- Mark the check box if you want to have the export job processed right after saving.
- If needed, add your email address in section 'Notification' and confirm with "Save". The dialog 'Save Export Job' opens.
INFO: Datameer can only send email notifications if an email server has been configured.
Select the place to save the export job, name it and confirm with "Save". The export job is displayed in the export job. Exporting to a Tableau Server is finished.